[pure-silver] Re: fence row project negatives

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 08:17:26 -0500

I had a yellow filter and sometimes I used that, but not often. Usually there weren't any clouds at all! It was in the middle of the long drought that we had in TN this summer.

--shannon

On Sep 21, 2007, at 8:33 PM, Sauerwald Mark wrote:

Shannon

Would a red filter to darken the sky have helped?

I don't know if you had any interesting cloud
formations but use of various coloured filters to
shift the contrast ratios between elements is often
usefull.

As an aside, I am a big sucker for clouds.  My teen
age daughter is also a photographer, and a couple of
years ago we did a photo trip to the southwest.  Each
day I would set the alarm clock for a bit before
sunrise, and would check what the clouds looked like,
the deal that we had struck was that if there were
'good clouds' then we would get up and go out and
shoot at sunrise, if the sky was flat, then we would
sleep in.  My daughter who normally would sleep in got
really into it, and ended up getting really
enthusiatic about some of the clouds in the mornings!
 I often select a filter to bring contrast between the
clouds and the sky.

Mark

--- Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I was working on a project this summer where I
photographed every fence
post along a fence row on my road in TN. Then I came
back to Houston
and started processing the negatives.  Some of them
look pretty flat;
that is, the leaves and branches and vines in the
foreground are all
the same value.  Sometimes the sky is dense on the
negative, and so
technically the negative has a normal range, but
there are no values in
between the dark leaves in the foreground and the
bright sky or pasture
in the background. I  think this is because I shot
the negatives around
6 pm on most days, right at sunset.  I did this
mainly because it
finally cooled off at that time of day, and also
because I didn't want
a lot of light effects--cast shadows, dappled light
etc--interfering
with the texture of the leaves and branches.  I
wanted a kind of flat
light.  But evidently I went too far.  I like this
time of day for
photographing, because of this even, flat light; but
maybe I should
have gone out an hour earlier?  Or tried to stretch
out the values in
the leaves a little more?  I was using ddx 1+6, and
I have another box
that I exposed for processing with ddx 1+4, so maybe
those will work
out better.

I sort of knew it wasn't a great idea to meter the
leaves and then
meter the sky and not meter anything in between but
I did it anyway. In
fact there wasn't anything in between those two
values usually.  I've
had this problem before in landscapes, where all the
values "on the
ground" are compressed and look flat, and the sky is
perfect, but so
what?  If the main subject of interest is flat, the
photograph looks
flat.

What do other people do in this situation?  Go out
earlier in the day?
Ignore the sky and let it blow out?

--shannon

_______________________________________________________________________ _____________ Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.