[pure-silver] Re: fence row project negatives

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:59:49 -0500

Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I use the BTZS system which is a variant on the zone system.

Yup, that's a good way mess up an exposure.  I can, with lots
of careful metering and figuring and mumbling, use BTZS to
cock up an exposure so the film is almost entirely blank.

It's not the system, per se, it's just that I loose track of
common sense.

If it doesn't agree with the exposure suggested in the
package insert or Kodak pocket guide within a stop then it is probably wrong. Which begs the question why bother with all the jiggery-pokery.

After many-too-many years of missing an exposure I use a Sekonic selenium meter for most work. Only if things deviate significantly from the norm do I grab a spot meter and use the old 'meter shadows/develop highlites'. And then I take a backup shot with what an averaging meter indicates and develop normally.

Scenes worth photographing are ephemeral -- a mediocre exposure
of a great scene is better than a carefully metered and exposed
picture of a missed moment.

I work carefully and elaborately in the darkroom. The negative isn't going anywhere and I can diddle to my hearts content. If I make a mistake printing in the darkroom and I haven't lost the image forever.

Write the score quickly before it fades from your mind.
Work on the performance at your leisure.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC