[pure-silver] Re: Tonal gradation/smoothness in 35mm negs c.f. larger formats

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:32:28 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----

     Quotes snipped...
     My experience is that its mostly a matter of grain. I shoot various
formats up to 8x10. In general, there is a noticeable difference between 35mm
negs and anything larger. Recently, I've been using 100T-Max developed in
either Perceptol or Microdol-X (they are identical) full strength. This begins
to give me the sort of "smoothness" I get with 2-1/4 x 2-1/4. When used full
strength both developers are extra-fine-grain but have no acutance effects at
all so negatives in somewhat grainier developers will often look a bit sharper:
it depends partly on the quality of the lens. The comparison is to D-76 diluted
1:1. This is a medium-fine-grain developer. The T-Max negatives in either of
the two fine grain developers above are nearly as fine grain is Technical Pan
in Technidol with better tone rendition, much more speed (around EI-50) and no
difficulties with controlling contrast.
    I've also tried these developers for Rollei negatives but do not find the
same improvement over those processed in D-76.