[pure-silver] Re: Tonal gradation/smoothness in 35mm negs c.f. larger formats

  • From: Ken Sinclair <photo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:27:18 -0700

Bob....

At one point those many years ago, I had a somewhat similar discussion with my mentor.

When discussing "graininess" in prints..... it gently explained to that it was NOT "grains of silver" that caused the effect I was noticing in similar conditions, It was the space between the silver
'grains' that was allowing me to see the image on the print.

Ken

On 13-Jan-08, at 9:16 PM, BOB KISS wrote:

DEAR PETER,

Firstly, if you will never make a print bigger than 5X7 the differences will be less noticeable than if you were making 11X14 or bigger prints. Let’s assume you will make 8X10 prints regardless of the negative size and that you will use the same film/ dev combination in all formats. The concept is that, the more pixels you have per square inch, the more possible levels of tone (grays) you can achieve. With film, this translates VERY loosely to, the more silver grains imaged on your print per square inch, the more possible levels of tone you can achieve on the print. Clearly, a 4X5 (20 square inches of film) enlarged to an 8X10 print will have more imaged silver grains per square inch than a 35mm neg (as mentioned in the posting below, 1 ½ sq in of film) enlarged (approximately, given the different aspect ratio) to an 8X10.

I am counting on Richard Knoppow to give the more rigorous explanation but this is the basic idea.

                        CHEERS!

                                    BOB