[pure-silver] Re: Tonal gradation/smoothness in 35mm negs c.f. larger formats

  • From: "Peter Badcock" <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:51:15 +1100

Hi Bob and Ken,

thanks for your replies.

So clearly this effect is predominately related to the grain size.  If the
grains were sufficiently small (or even non existent), then I assume this
effect would not be seen at all.  I know it probably seemed that my question
had an obvious answer, but I somehow got the impression from an APUGian's
answer that the effect wasn't related to the grain.

So does anyone have some hard numbers  ?  e.g. if I use a fine grained film
such as PanF with a low accutance developer, what size enlargement (when
viewed from a 'typical' set distance) would I begin to see differences in
the tonal smoothness between the 35mm neg print and say a 4x5 neg print.
(note I see this question as being different to the common question: "at
what size enlargement could I begin to see the grain in the 35mm neg's print
when viewed from a 'typical' set distance")

regards
Peter