[pure-silver] Re: Thiourea and Thiourea dioxide

  • From: <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:30:34 +0100

Hi Eric,

I am surprised here: FSA is my favorite toner. I use it mostly on partially
toned prints, because the density gain is considerable (your image can get 1-1
½ stops darker on a completely bleached print, depending on the paper). I like
the flexibility of the different bleaches.

Redevelopment (FSA is not really a toner, see Tim's book) in FSA is generally
very fast: 30 sec-1 min., exception is after the Iodine bleach, than
re-development takes a lot of time (by heart: 30 minutes or so)

Good luck,

Cor

Btw my FSA http://tinyurl.com/669jflo

Good luck,

Cor

________________________________

        From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
        To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Wednesday, February 23, 2011, 3:57 PM

        I looked it up myself and found these for t. dioxide with the 2
different CAS #'s:

        http://www.lookchem.com/cas-418/4189-44-0.html

        http://www.thiourea-dioxide-fas.com/   <--CAS# 1758-73-2

        This is what I found for my thiourea:

        http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/t3107.htm

        I won't pretend I know anything about what's on those pages as I'm just
looking for the practical application of the compound with this toner.

        I used my thiourea anyway as I was in a testing mode yesterday and did
get toning, albeit very slowly, of the prints I had bleached with the
ferricyanide/pot. bromide combo.  That may be my "practical" answer right
there, but since I work w/chemicals w/o getting into molecular structures and
formulas, I'm hoping someone who does might know the answer if it's 'worth'
looking into getting the t. dioxide or not.

        Eric

________________________________

        From: daniel <daniel.bouzard@xxxxxxxxxx>
        To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Wednesday, February 23, 2011, 7:01 AM

        Hello,

            CAS 4189-44-0 and 1758-73-2 are both for thiourea dioxide under
different names. CAS 62-56-6 is for thiourea.
        Several years ago I tried toning with thiourea sulfoxide following Tim
book and it worked very well.

        Daniel Bouzard

        Le 22/02/11 23:25, Eric Nelson a écrit :

        I'm working from Tim Rudman's toning book and am playing with the FSA
toner.

        In it he lists thiourea dioxide to be used in the toning bath.  Now I
have thiourea that comes from TechChem down in Missouri and called them to see
what flavor of thiourea I have.  Bob called back and he found something odd in
the CAS listings.

        TechChem's thiourea is CAS# 62-56-6

        Thiourea dioxide has TWO CAS #'s which he says is "unheard of".

        CAS# 4189-44-0 and CAS# 1758-73-2

        Since Tim has been known to hang around these parts and others here may
be more familiar with the CAS catalog system, I'm wondering if these 3
compounds are interchangeable or what?

        Thanks

        Eric