[pure-silver] Re: Thiourea and Thiourea dioxide

  • From: "Eric Neilsen" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:42:43 -0600

The lines in the figure indicate bonds. Two lines = double bond which means it
requires more energy to release. That OH group probably comes off easily or
easier than the other groups. With seeing the whole process, ions running
around, etc I won’t even go any further. Not that I am totally qualified to do
so either. pH can be a big issue in making toning happen as it put in motion
the bonding that will or can take place.  The different CAS # may be ( just a
guess) due to a registration by the one company with its name. If the formula
calls for FAS – the later two, it may be a pH issue.

(NH2)2.CS from JT baker

The other two sources.

CH4N2O2S

·        CH4 N2 O2 S

 <http://www.lookchem.com/300w/2010/0621/4189-44-0.jpg> Molecular Structure of
4189-44-0 (Methanesulfinic acid,1-amino-1-imino-)

Good luck.

Eric Neilsen

4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9

Dallas, TX 75226

214-827-8301

 <http://ericneilsenphotography.com/forum1> Let's Talk Photography

www.ericneilsenphotography.com

SKYPE ejprinter

From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, February 23, 2011, 3:57 PM

I looked it up myself and found these for t. dioxide with the 2 different CAS
#'s:

http://www.lookchem.com/cas-418/4189-44-0.html

http://www.thiourea-dioxide-fas.com/   <--CAS# 1758-73-2

This is what I found for my thiourea:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/t3107.htm

I won't pretend I know anything about what's on those pages as I'm just looking
for the practical application of the compound with this toner.

I used my thiourea anyway as I was in a testing mode yesterday and did get
toning, albeit very slowly, of the prints I had bleached with the
ferricyanide/pot. bromide combo.  That may be my "practical" answer right
there, but since I work w/chemicals w/o getting into molecular structures and
formulas, I'm hoping someone who does might know the answer if it's 'worth'
looking into getting the t. dioxide or not.

Eric

  _____

From: daniel <daniel.bouzard@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, February 23, 2011, 7:01 AM

Hello,

    CAS 4189-44-0 and 1758-73-2 are both for thiourea dioxide under different
names. CAS 62-56-6 is for thiourea.
Several years ago I tried toning with thiourea sulfoxide following Tim book and
it worked very well.

Daniel Bouzard

Le 22/02/11 23:25, Eric Nelson a écrit :

I'm working from Tim Rudman's toning book and am playing with the FSA toner.

In it he lists thiourea dioxide to be used in the toning bath.  Now I have
thiourea that comes from TechChem down in Missouri and called them to see what
flavor of thiourea I have.  Bob called back and he found something odd in the
CAS listings.

TechChem's thiourea is CAS# 62-56-6

Thiourea dioxide has TWO CAS #'s which he says is "unheard of".

CAS# 4189-44-0 and CAS# 1758-73-2

Since Tim has been known to hang around these parts and others here may be more
familiar with the CAS catalog system, I'm wondering if these 3 compounds are
interchangeable or what?

Thanks

Eric

GIF image