[pure-silver] Re: TMAX grain - developer modification?

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:32:08 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: TMAX grain - developer modification?
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:53:32 -0700

> Evidently it doesn't suffer from grain clumping as much as some
> other films, perhaps due to the very hard emulsion which does not
> allow as much migration of the grains. Grain clumping is caused by
> high pH developers which soften the emulsion.

Which film suffers from grain clumping and grain migration, in any
practical processing solutions?

> but the company no longer has much idea of its history, as I
> found out not lonjg ago when they seemed not to know when
> D-76 originated.

What do you consider the origin of D-76, and how did you determine
Kodak didn't know about it?

>     I wonder if the Tri-X emulsion making process drifted over the
> years and was brought back to optimum when the operation was
> moved. One would have to have Tri-X negatives of forty or fifty
> years ago developed in a common developer to tell.

Based on common knowledge of emulsion making, there is no question
that Tri-X changed in 50 years. Practice of emulsion making changed so
much in 50 years. First of all, gelatin supply changed a lot, and
photographic quality of emulsions depends strongly on the gelatin
quality. There were a few key technologies and new knowledge in last
50 years that are highly valuable in economical production of negative
emulsions. Then environmental regulations changed so much that several
compounds used 50 years ago are not even a possibility today.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."