[pure-silver] TMAX grain - developer modification?

  • From: Christopher Woodhouse <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 08:48:24 +0100

For obvious reasons, I have suddenly been plunged into initial film
evaluations once more. For the same reasons, I decided to try Tetanal
Ultrafin as a substitute for Perceptol.

I decided to do a back to back test of Tmax 400, Tri X and Neopan 400. I
expected Tmax to come up on top in terms of grain.

To my surprise, it was worse than the other two. Neopan had the best grain,
followed by Tri X and then Tmax. The Tmax grain was very clear and obvious.

(For those who want to know  Tetanal Ultrafin 1+19, 24C Jobo processor, for
normal development (G =0.57, the EI's were 500, 320, 250 for Tmax, TriX and
Neopan. The evaluations were made on an 8x magnification from 120 film)

Now to the question: I seem to remember that Tmax grain does not alter with
developing agent. Is that right? Could I be seeing the other films
responding to the fine grain developer and leaving Tmax behind? Maybe it is
the cynic in me, but the rank order of grain is inversely proportional to
the EI :)

--
Regards Chris Woodhouse ARPS