[pure-silver] Re: TMAX grain - developer modification?

  • From: Martin Jangowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:00:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Christopher Woodhouse wrote:

> For obvious reasons, I have suddenly been plunged into initial film
> evaluations once more. For the same reasons, I decided to try Tetanal
> Ultrafin as a substitute for Perceptol.

For the same obvious reasons, I tried a Perceptol/Microdol-X substitute
containing mentioned here in the list (about 2 years ago):

1l dist. water
5g Metol
100g Sodium Sulfite
1g Boric Acid
33g NaCl

A initial test run with it (1+3, 11min, 24deg, rotation) and Delta 400 was
excellent (I just filled a freezer with several hundred rolls of Delta
400, this will last 2-3 years...). Dev times for Delta 100, 400 and APX100
are in the 10-12min range, the speed loss is 1-2 DIN compared to D76 1+1.

I'm looking for a fine grained developer for APX100, currently I'm using
DS-12. This developer gives excellent acutance and sharpness, but the
grain becomes very visible above 6x enlargement, a litte too visible for a
80 ASA film. The Delta 400/DS-10 combo I use is just a little less sharp,
has _less_ grain and is 2 stops faster... unfortunately, I'm not able to
get the DS-10/APX100 combo to run, really miserable shadow densitys with
normal highlights. The DS-12/APX100 has a dead straight density curve,
should be excellent for 4x5" and larger, but I only have a few boxes
APX100 sheet film left.

Gr=FC=DFe aus Hohenlohe,

=09Martin Jangowski

| Martin Jangowski                         E-Mail: Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx|
|                        Netzwerke und Multimedia                     |
| Voice: +49 7946/940790                         Fax: +49 7946/940791 |
| Snail Mail: Von-Olnhausen Str. 4            74626 Bretzfeld Germany |