[pure-silver] Re: Suggestions needed from the real experts here

  • From: "Mark Blackwell" <markb1958@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:44:06 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:05 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Suggestions needed from the real experts here

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Blackwell" <markb1958@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 5:12 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Suggestions needed from the real experts here

Well today was just one of those days. Working today with some Tri X pro 400TX and was working with studio lights and a Minolta Flash Meter. Well somedays you just wake up dumb and today was one of them.

Yep was working with 2 cameras one set at ASA 100 while the Tri X is 400. Want to guess which ASA the flash meter was set on and the really smart one today forgot to switch when switching cameras.

Yep it looks like the Tri X got about a 2 stop over exposure. At least it will dense rather than thin negs. I thinking of cutting the development time down to compensate. Any recommendations on how much to cut it and if the explaination isn't too deep in chemistry Id appreciate it. I plan on using D 76 either straight or 1 to 1.

Thanks for all the help

Mark
You can loose nearly one stop by developing in either Kodak Microdol-X or Ilford Perceptol (they are identical). When used full strength these extra-fine-grain developers loose about 3/4 stop when compared to D-76. The results will be normal contrast negatives.
The other stop can be ignored, the negatives will simply be a little denser than usual with more shadow detail.
You can loose another stop of speed by reducing development but the contrast will be lower. For most conventional films (not tabular grain) reducing deveelopment time about 33% will reduce the negative contrast about one paper grade and loose about 3/4 stop of speed. Kodak development charts are based on a contrast index suitable for contact printing or diffusion enlarging. To print on the same grade paper on a condenser enlarger the negative contrast is reduced as above. The tone rendition is exactly the same whether the negative contrast or paper contrast is adjusted.
Most film has tremendous overexposure latitude and nearly no underexposure latitude. If you had underexposed by two stops you would be in real trouble, for 2 stops over, you will get perfectly good negatives that will take longer exposure in the enlarger.
My recommendation is to develop for your usual contrast in Microdol-X or Perceptol.
BTW, both have good tone quality and will give you very fine grain although not much of the edge effects that cause acutance. For formats larger than 35mm this makes very little difference.

---
Thanks Richard but another developer, though it might be the best, isn't really something I can do right now with a move coming on. I take that back. I do have some Perceptol, in powdered form. But I picked it up from the bargin bin at a camera show about 3 year or more ago thinking Id try it and never did. I suspect it might not be any good anymore.

I did come up with some info in the Kodak pubs. Normal processing time is 9 mins 45 sec. They didn't give any info on a pull, but a two stop push is 13min 15 secs. for a difference of 3 mins 30 secs.

Now the question is, would it be a linear comparison between a push and a pull. Another words if I subtract 3.30 off the normal time would I have a two stop pull? Granted at best this is going to be a guess, but like you said if I can get close a dense neg I can work with. I am just so glad it wasn't the other way around.

Mark