[pure-silver] Re: Some good news concerning Ilford

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:41:55 +0100

----- Message d'origine -----
De: Georges Giralt <georges=2Egiralt@free=2Efr>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:44:05 +0100
Sujet: [pure-silver] Re: Some good news concerning Ilford
=C3=80: pure-silver@freelists=2Eorg

>Hi !
>I do not think this is as good news as it seems=2E
>First, the plant was sold and is leased to the new Ilford Photo company=2E T=
his
>will imply high running costs (as it was an old one, most of it was already
>paid for) and will impair the ability of the new company to produce at
>competitive prices=2E Keep in mind that the market has begun to re organize,=
 and
>that Agfa Photo got, at least in Europe, a part of the previous Ilford marke=
>share on papers and chemicals=2E Tetenal has put its troops in the chemical
>field, and the disapearing of Ilford powdered chemicals (ID 11 etc=2E=2E=2E=2E=
 ) will
>put Ilford photo at risk=2E I even wonder what Champion manufacturing will i=
mply
>in term of prices on the former Ilford products=2E
>Next, the marketing companies outside the UK are seeking a new owner=2E=2E=2E=
=2E and are
>for sale=2E What do you think of a company having no distribution path ? Wil=
l it
>sell ? I do not think so=2E International trade is difficult to implement, a=
nd
>more difficult to maintain=2E
>So I _do_ hope that Ilford will be a success but the path is not paved with
>flowers=2E=2E=2E
>
>BTW, the Freelists software sucks=2E The "rephrasing" it does for unknown re=
asons
>is more than annoying=2E It breaks legibility, WWW links and search engines=2E=

>Wondefull !
>Regards=2E

Sorry for the mess with the character codes, previous email was sent using we=
stern-european (iso-8859-1), with this one, I try Unicode (utf-8) =2E=2E=2E

Regarding Ilford, leasing may increase costs but the owner of the plant has n=
o interests in killing the new Ilford=2E So I hope the lease fee will remain =
acceptable=2E

Distribution was problematic in some countries, mainly where the local distri=
butor was bankrupt or near of it=2E In these countries, other manufacturers h=
ave filled the gap, let's see if Ilford will regain the market share=2E Deman=
d drives distribution, so if customers are loyal, they will =2E=2E=2E
In others, products were not that difficult to find during all crisis' period=
, this is the case here in Switzerland=2E
US and Canadian distributors already announced that products are/will soon be=
 available as previously and that's a pretty huge market=2E
Was it difficult to find Ilford products in the US this last six months ?

Regarding the chemicals, the subcontractor may well do as good or even better=
 than Ilford itself, let's see=2E
There are other companies that do not manufacture themselves and are profitab=
le (Bergger and so on)=2E

I'm more concerned regarding the swiss plant as, although being profitable, t=
heir future is still uncertain=2E

Regards,
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www=2Ebonavolta=2Ech