[pure-silver] Re: matting square prints

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:24:06 +0800

Dear Shannon,

     Troublemaker.

    I have spent the last two days with an 8" x 8" print and pieces of
mounting board seeing what all the fuss was about and have come to the
conclusion that there is no right way.

     I tried the idea of a 16" x 20" matte board and the little print smack
dab in the middle or smack dab in the middle but up a bit. It is like
putting a pea on a plate - there is too much matt board and too little
print.

    Smaller board. About an inch of space round the top and sides and an
inch and a quarter at the bottom. I cannot really decide whether I like this
better than having an inch all round but I figure it may be a case of chacon
a son gout remedy, or where did I put the pills. At least you get more matt
boards out of a big piece.

     Ever radical, I tried the experiment of putting the print up in the top
right edge in a sort of art-deco form. It actually looked good. I tried
tilting the print and the frame. Also good, but you needed a certain
jazziness about the print to carry it off.

    I suspect that if I tried this sort of artiness on exhibition committees
they would throw their hands up and me out. Just as well I frame for my own
premises and the houses of friends. I keep 'em in dim corners....

     Uncle Dick