[pure-silver] Re: Sodium bisulfite

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:29:48 -0500 (EST)

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Sodium bisulfite
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:41:07 -0800

>   I wonder if this "slime" might be from carried over alum
> hardener or carbonates in the water.

Those are possibilities as well as silver sludges, polymerized
oxidized developing agents, etc.

I've processed quite a bit of unhardened emulsions that are not even
dried (just chill set on paper) to evaluate the prograssion of
digestion process during emulsion making. Those steps leave a lot of
gelatin behind in the solution and sometimes they grow mould. But I've
seen moulds only on the debris that float. It wasn't my goal to test
for anaerobic growth of some species in the solution, but given the
very high salt concentration in the solution, it is unlikely.
(and the solutions worked just fine despite the mould floating)

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."