[pure-silver] Sodium bisulfite

  • From: "Fyodor M. Tcheredeyev" <fyodor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:46:35 +0100

Dear all,

David Vestal in "Advanced B&W Printing" gives the following solution
for washing aid for paper:
water          3 liters
sodum sulfite 80 g
water to make  4 liters

Which so far is all right, then another one for film:

water             3 liters
sodium silfite   80 g
SODIUM BISULFITE  8 g
water to make     4 liters

Today I went to the local chemistry shop, and was told that they have
SODIUM BISULFITE (NaHSO3) as a 37% solution. It's also at least 10
times more expensive than sodium sulfite.

The questions are:
a) is the NaHSO3 the right sodium bisulfite, the one needed for the
wash aid, and if yes
b) how do I come to a 8 g equivalent of a 37% solution?

Thank you very much in advance.

Also some (rather long) time ago someone on the list (I think it must
have been Richard Knoppow, but I may be wrong, quoted another wash
aid, that included a third element, a salt something something. Is it
at all possible to get that recipe, please - I lost all my records due
to both a move to another place and a computer upgrade...

Thank you very much in advance.

--
Best regards,
 Fyodor                          mailto:fyodor@xxxxxxxxxxxx