[pure-silver] Re: Skin tones

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:20:54 -0700

Ralph W. Lambrecht wrote:

Richard

Just a minor point, Hurrell is spelled with two Rs and two Ls.
I love his work!
There are a couple of nice books on Hurrell available. One of them shows a print from an unretouched negative of Joan Crawford side by side with one with 6 hours of retouching, mostly by pencil on the negative. What a difference! He often photographed women with only eye and lip makeup, since if foundation was used all skin texture would be lost, especially if any retouching was done. He also regularly used baby oil on the skin to give it a sheen. If I remember correctly, he shot ortho early in his career because it was what was available, and that he switched to panchromatic film when it became readily available, and after he ran out of a large stock of ortho that he bought cheap. I too am a great admirer of Hurrell's work.

-Peter De Smidt