[pure-silver] Skin tones

  • From: "Peter Badcock" <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:52:26 +1000

On 23/06/06, Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Subject: Re: Suggestions needed from the real experts here June 23, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Anyway, I did not reduce time of development very much, and got very, very
dense negs. The prints took quite long enlarger exposures, and the first
couple of test prints were very crappy. But eventually I got the exposure
right, and saw what beautiful results were possible with 'generously'
exposed Tri-X. Skin tones work out gorgeously.

regards,
--le

Lloyd,
do you have any examples of the skin tones you are describing here? I had a
look on your website but couldn't find any Tri-X exposed at 200ASA.  I am
trying to build a general mental catalog in my mind of how various films
capture skin tones under natural light while varying the exposure conditions
and maybe the scene brightness range (SBR).

This is neither an exhaustive nor a scientific exercise, just something to
help me pre-visualise potential possibilities. (I am certainly aware that
the characteristic curve of the paper will also contribute to the print's
tonality).

FWIW, I really like what Suzanne Revy has done with TXP here
http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=312382#poststop but
unfortunately TXP isn't available in 35mm.

regards
Peter