[pure-silver] Re: Skin tones

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:17:37 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Badcock" <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 4:03 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Skin tones

On 27/08/06, Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For a "creamy" look I've found T-Max 400 in D-76 1:1
works well but the overall look depends a lot on lighting.
I've taken good portraits, with skin rendition I liked, on
several films. However, I will stress that lighting has a
much greater effect than the film.

---
Richard Knoppow

Hi Richard,

can you elaborate on the types of lighting you would use for the kind of
skin rendition you prefer?
Unfortunately I don't own any studio lights.

regards
Peter

I've gotten the best results from mostly diffuse lighting with enough specular light to bring out skin sheen. The best portraits were by natural light, either from large windows or late afternoon light on partly cloudy days. The low angle of the light helps and also the color of the light late in the day. While a thick overcase results in highly diffused light its mostly coming from straight up, so is not very good for portraits because it tends to shadow the eyes. Its important to light the eyes.
I've also gotten good results by using large reflectors which can give a similar quality of light.
I used to work with studio type lights a lot when I had the room. Its easy to makeshift diffused lights but less so for spotlights where one wants a sharp edged light for some reason. I have photographed a couple of women whose skin was so perfect it could stand direct daylight or flash on the camera and be blemish free and smooth. Quite rare. While I use diffused light I don't like the effect of too much diffusion because it destroys modeling. There has to be a little hard light in there.
The advantage of working with studio lights is control of lighting ratio and subject contrast. One can also do this outdoors using reflectors. One key to getting good skin rendition with any film is to get the skin somewhere in the straight line portion of the curve and control the shadow areas that need some detail. Probably a ratio of 8 to 1 is the most one can have. Specular highlights will never have detail because they are beyond the range that can be printed. Small specular highlights, like catch lights in the eyes, need not have detail but broad highlights, like the forhead should probably not have more than about 4 to 1 brightness from the average skin area.
I can go on with this but a few hours spent with small lights will tell you more than any book.
BTW a trick I learned from an old book is to make a test light by fixing a nite-lite on the end of a rod perhaps 4 or 5 feet long. Get someone to sit for you and explore around in dim light using the test light. This will show you what light from various angles brings out.
The book is back in print and I recommend it. _Painting With Light_ John Alton. Its available in paperback for less than $20. Amazon has it but I don't remember the current publisher.

---