[pure-silver] Re: 'Ripening' procedure for developer?

  • From: Snoopy <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 09:08:07 +0200

Dear HArry,

At 22:59 03.05.2007, you wrote:
>I have heard it be said that, for optimum and consistent performance,
>developers should 'ripen' or 'cure' 12-18 hours after preparation.

I always do this for the developers I mix up from powder. I let them sit at least overnight. I find it makes a huge difference esp. if you want consistent results, this is for b/w. I do this for both film and paper developers.

I also usually always put in a small amount (5-10ml) of used developer into the new stuff (regardless if I used liquid concentrate developer or one made from powder). Again this is for b/w developers, especially for paper. If I use really fresh developer in the machine, it takes about 10-15 prints before things "get going".

In Germany this is called "using a starter". In fact AGFA also made specific "starter" chemicals for their colour processes as well, but again mainly for paper development in the machines.

Love,
Snoopy