[pure-silver] Re: 'Ripening' procedure for developer?

  • From: "EJ Neilsen" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 20:34:07 -0500

If you mix your chemicals from a formula, they need to be mixed in that
order. You most certainly have reactions happening between the available
ions in solution and the film, but the available ions will and can change as
the solution cools, changes pH, etc.  If you by your packaged chemicals,
some do have more than one package and they need to be mixed separately as
the directions require. When you mix dry chemicals into a water solvent, you
don't just magically end up with some "active" molecule but rather a bunch
of ions running around looking for the "best" fit. The attractions can be
momentary or more long lasting. These are based on electric potential. It
just takes time for some of these events to equalize. This is not a proposed
phenomenon, but the way things work.

Some reactions will only take place at specific pH levels. When ever I mix
my 130 developer, I always let it sit for a day before first use unless I am
really pressed to get a job out. Thank goodness those days are over. D76
will continue to change over time, going up and down in activity.

Ripening or seasoned developers that I have encountered were mostly in large
tank processing like an E6 roller transport line or a 50" ciba machine,
where the by products from the film or paper become a part of the solution
and then become an influence on how those other reactions proceed.

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9