[pure-silver] Re: Practical print sizes

  • From: "K W Hart" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 18:31:06 -0500

As a portrait photographer whose income depends on the size of the finished
print, the print should always be as large as possible!

Putting that aside, photographs are a part of the decor. If you have a large
wall space, it deserves a large print (or several small ones). If the print is
on the wall above the sofa, where the viewer will be a couple feet away
(because of the sofa), then it can (should?) be a larger print. In the house
where I grew up, we had a long narrow hallway. Small- 8x10 or smaller- prints
worked well there.

I frame a lot of 20"x24" prints. I am not a fan of glass (or plexi) covering
the print. Especially when I do a "faux-painting", where the texture of the
photo is a part of the photograph. If the photo is covered by glass/plexi, that
cover must be spaced away from the print to prevent the photo from eventually
sticking to the glass.

["Faux-painting": I flush-mount the print on sturdy mount board. I apply
artist's gel medium to the print. First, I use a 3" wide stiff brush and make
vertical strokes over the entire photo. I wait a couple minutes for the medium
to set a bit, then I make horizontal strokes. The brush strokes make the photo
look like it's on coarse fabric. After this application dries, I go over the
lines of the photo with the same gel medium and smaller brushes, following
hair, clothing lines, etc.]

One inch equals 2.54 centimeters or 25.4 millimeters. I keep a small tape
measure handy that has both metric and inches (Imperial?). For most uses, this
gives me a close-enough conversion. In the darkroom, I have graduates marked in
both liters and ounces. A liter is close to a quart.
Ken Hart
kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx

    From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Date: Tue, March 06, 2012 8:45 am
    To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Cc: İbrahim_Pamuk <ibrahim.pamuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    On 03/06/2012 09:36 AM, İbrahim Pamuk wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wonder if there is a practical assumption like portraits size max
suitable to 30*40 cm or landscapes around 50*70 cm. Of course any one can print
any sizes. I think printing large portraits might not be so good since it is or
might be bigger than the actual object.

    Print sizes and aspect ratios are ordinarily selected on the basis of
    several inputs:

    - Subject matter
    - Viewing distance
    - Artistic impact

    Huge portraits have a place - when hanging in large rooms where they
    will be viewed at a distance. Small landscapes also have place -
    in a small office, for example.

    One size does not fit all.