[pure-silver] Re: Practical print sizes

  • From: harry kalish <hksvk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 21:14:08 -0500

According to Ralph M. Evans in "An Introduction to Color", 1948, p.143: The
correct viewing distance is roughly equal to the focal length of the lens
times the number of diameters of enlargement used for the print. He goes on
about such concepts as perception of depth, geometry of the visual image,
and feelings of reality induced by a photograph. Pretty interesting reading.

The title page identifies him as Color Control Department Head, Eastman
Kodak Company, so I imagine he needs to be taken seriously.

Harry.