[pure-silver] Re: Portfolio suggestions

  • From: Bob Randall <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:33:16 -0500

On 10/29/04 1:23 PM, "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I am in the process of putting together a portfolio to show my work. I
> would like to take my 10 best photographs and display them in a portfolio.
>
>  I am looking for two types of portfolios. One, which has a nice display
> which I can show to clients and take back with me.
>
>  A second, where I can leave with clients who may or may not return the
> portfolio (a cheaper solution).
>
>  My current thinking for the first is to dry press the print to a mat
> backing and placing in a screw bound type book.
>
>  I have no clue of the second.
>
>  What I am looking for from list members is a sharing of experiences in
> regards to my two needs. What have you tried, what has worked and what hasn't.
> I am fully aware of what exists so I'm not really looking for places to look
> as much as a sharing of experiences: what you've already tried and if you
> liked it or not.
>
>  Thanks

I have spent thousands of dollars on one portfolio, and I have spent 50
cents on ink jet prints I sent in the mail. All aimed at art directors in ad
agencies and design firms. I have been doing this for almost thirty years.
There is no single approach that works. An older creative wants to see
leather books from Brewer and Cantelmo in NYC. Creatives in their mid
thirties to mid forties want to see great images that work and they don't
care what the package looks like. Very young creatives want to see how
explosively hip you can be, so they care a lot about the package and very
little about content. One thing I know for sure, the more money you through
at the problem, the more money you just threw away. Make a book that you can
change at a moments notice. It shows the creatives that you don't have a lot
of time to spend on building books and you are flexible. Have a consistent
look to the design of the book but don't ever forget that you are a
photographer. While creatives appreciate good design, they are looking at
you for pictures. Leave behinds can be a single ink jet print. If you are a
BW purist and the idea of an ink jet print bothers you, then by all means
leave a hand made BW print that you slaved over as a parting gift. This is
when you find out how little appreciation the commercial ad world has for
art. For now I use 14X11 plexiglass books to show to creatives at agencies,
and clam shell boxes for mounted BW prints.

Bob Randall