[pure-silver] Re: Opinion Please!

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:22:59 -0800 (PST)

I have a client who has always used Plus-x 120 for her portraits.  One day I
asked why she didn't use tmax and she said it's because tmax "looks dead".
I thought, OK, and one day she used a roll of tmax for the same subjects as she
always shoots and processed in tmax 1:7 it did lack vibrancy, and looked 'dead'
on the proof sheet.
Now I can't put it into specifics like d-log H curves or finer grain or
something more quantifiable, but with film, sometimes there's more than what we
can quantify at work, although I'm sure one who knows could.  I'm still a
tmax/pyro kinda guy and don't use plus-x because it didn't work well w/PMK,
although others might have luck combining it w/some other flavor of pyro or
pyrocatechol.

Richard is absolutely correct re:the combination of Microdol and tmax 100.
Using an E.I. of 50 it is very fine grained and I had a client that used it
exclusively for his professional 35mm portrait business.  In 8x10 and 11x14
prints grain was not apparent at all.  The combo didn't work w/rotary
processing as there were very small surge marks that formed at the sprocket
holes, so inversion had to be used for that combo.  So if graininess is to be
avoided, definitely use that combo.