[pure-silver] Re: Opinion Please!

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 21:37:27 -0500

"Tom Kershaw"

Would you still recommend T-Max 400 over Tri-X even in situations where metering or lighting conditions are uncertain, i.e. without using a spot meter?

Why not?

TMY is a very straight line film, little toe or shoulder, lots of
latitude.

It is a bit less forgiving of underexposure, but then underexposure
is unforgivable.  OTOH, it has better shadow contrast.

If overexposed the highlight detail isn't lost in the shoulder.

You may have to burn highlights more with T-Grain films, but there
is far more highlight detail than in conventional films.

There is a peculiar notion that one gets 'delicate detailed
highlights' from films that shoulder out.  I've never seen this,
rather a featureless off-white mush seems prevalent. The film most noted for its highlight rendering was the late Plus-X sheet
film, and it had no shoulder - it was an 'all toe' film.

Add TMY's much finer grain and better ability to render fine
detail at low contrast and it is a winner.

This applies to 35mm.  In LF I find the choice between the two
films isn't all that pronounced.

Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
Cleveland, Ohio 44121