[pure-silver] Re: Off topic, Spot meter problem

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:12:16 -0400

mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well one thing I thought about is that unless you deal with the acid,

What acid? We are not talking about electrolytic lead-acid car batteries, or even carbon-zinc Leclanche cells. These batteries are either silver oxide or lithium cells.

the problem is going to reoccur because the residual acid is going to keep eating away at the metal, even if you got rid of the gunk.

If you get rid of the gunk, what is going to eat away at the metal?
My guess is that silver-oxide cells, and alkaline carbon-zinc cells are more likely to be basic and would need to be neutralized by an acid. And in either case you have to get the titration correct, not a practical thing to do. I looked inside my meter, but did not try to remove the spring that contacts the positive terminal of the battery. But if it comes out, I would just scrub it with water and a used toothbrush.

It will just do it slower because its been diluted some. Baking soda or some sort of base should neutralize the acid, then clean as described Think of car battery terminals. How many times have you gone out and cleaned the gunk off only to have it reappear in a few months? Granted the meter is not going to have to start the car, but any residual acid will sooner or later cause problems.

 ^^-^^ 17:05:01 up 20 days, 2:04, 3 users, load average: 4.22, 4.28, 4.26