[pure-silver] Re: Off topic, Spot meter problem

  • From: mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:23:03 -0700

Well one thing I thought about is that unless you deal with the acid, the problem is going to reoccur because the residual acid is going to keep eating away at the metal, even if you got rid of the gunk.  It will just do it slower because its been diluted some.  Baking soda or some sort of base should neutralize the acid, then clean as described  Think of car battery terminals.  How many times have you gone out and cleaned the gunk off only to have it reappear in a few months?  Granted the meter is not going to have to start the car, but any residual acid will sooner or later cause problems.

Id probably make a paste out of baking soda to avoid the fine powder.  Maybe just a little water and baking soda on the end of a Q tip would do the trick and it should come out fairly easy compared to the gunk that was already there, if that didn't put the rest of the meter at risk.  Now if the battery compartment is right near other sensitive electronics, Id definitely think twice.

I don't think it would take much and maybe the alcohol and WD 40 took care of it.  My chemistry is way to long ago to sort out how basic something would need to be to deal with that kind of thing.  Others here probably know.  And for the trivia question and old ad slogan come to mind here about a hair product.  In fact it probably should be instilled in our brains for many things.  "A little dab will do"  How often do with think a that if a little is good, a lot is better???  I wonder if anyone else here is old enough to remember the ad and I wonder if they still make the stuff.