[pure-silver] Re: Off topic, Spot meter problem

  • From: richard lahrson <gtripspud@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:44:49 -0700

try a q-tip with wd-40 several times, dry & repeat. best. rich

On Oct 20, 2009 9:01 AM, "Tim Daneliuk" <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dennis Purdy wrote: > I found this beautiful new looking Pentax Digital
Spotmeter with Zone VI > mod...
Use a Q-Tip dampened with alcohol to get the thing as clean as you
can. If necessary, you can roll up a small bit of cloth dampened
w/alcohol to get the entire chamber as clean as possible.  Don't
use paper towels because it will leave paper bits in the battery
chamber.

When you're done, take another Q-Tip dampened with WD-40, and apply to
the business end of the electrical contacts - both the spring and the
button surfaces. WD-40 is a rust inhibitor. Just don't overdo any of
this. Better to use a small amount of alcohol and clean repeatedly,
waiting until it evaporates before repeating. You don't want it
flowing down into the electronics. Same thing with the WD-40. The idea
is to lightly coat the conductive contact areas, not drown the thing
in oil

FWIW, I paid my way through college fixing the electronics on the
Alaskan salmon on crab fleet (the boats you see on "Deadliest Catch",
only I worked for the fathers of many of those skippers). Every now
and then we'd get a Radar that had gone to the bottom of the ocean
with a sunken vessel. As soon as we got the Radar into the shop, we'd
hose it down thoroughly with fresh water and the immediately soak it
with as much WD-40 as it would take. The WD-40 prevented rusting and
displaced the remaining water. After a few days of drying things off,
it usually took just a few minor parts and repairs to get the Radar
that had been sitting at the bottom of the N. Pacific running
perfectly again.

In your case we want to avoid the "soak in WD-40" mode and just "coat
lightly" :)

Tim Daneliuk     tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx