[pure-silver] Re: Fees (and food)

  • From: Gianni Rondinini <bugbarbeq@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:19:01 +0200

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:47:56 -0400 (EDT), you (Ryuji Suzuki
<rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>) wrote:

>> have weekends during which you may work at weddings, parties and so
>> on, often for "forfait" rates.
>
>Most pros I know calculate their rates based on their salary and
>business expenses. That is, their fee is determined largely by the
>cost of college education of their children, health insurance, studio
>rent, and so forth. Also, don't forget that Italian wine and cheese
>cost 2x to 3x here at a store, and they cost 3x of the store price at
>a restaurant.

about food, my suggestion is *never* to take at a restaurant what you
can eat at home. i don't see the point with paying 3 times the same
thing; what is more, cooking is funny and doesn't take long (usually).
i remember a funny (or awful, choose the one you prefer) thing in a
supermarket this summer in south west usa, something near the entrance
of a park (it may have been the ruby's inn at bryce canyon n.p.): i
found a chees sandwich "with real cheese". what should you expect to
find in a cheese sandwich [1]?

ok, getting back to topic, if in usa a pro can calculate his rates
based upon his expenses, it's a wonderful thing. i'd be glad (and most
people would) if also here it was the same, but what you have to do is
to limit your expenses to make it comatible with your salary/rate, not
the opposite.

regards,

[1] in that case, *sand*wich (or sandwitch as i'd say ;) was
appropriate considering the taste of bread :)
--
Gianni Rondinini (30, tanti, RA)
Nikon user - Bmw driver