[pure-silver] Re: Censorship

  • From: Janet Cull <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 21:04:00 -0500

On Dec 8, 2007, at 7:55 PM, Claudio Bonavolta wrote:

Well, Janet, due to the subject, it seems evident that in such exhibition you may encounter nudes. Those who want to "protect" their children or are allergic to nudity must have been warned well before entering the show, why did they go there and complain after ? The *very* surprising thing for me is that this society wants to make an exhibition on what some consider a sensitive subject and reacts heavily on the first negative reaction. The director just didn't assume his job, if she has a problem with nudity then she should organize exhibitions on landscapes, flowers or others ...

I hear you. That's something only the director can answer. But she's the director and it's their gallery.

I absolutely agree with you when you say that some just like a good fight, there's a real war going on between moralists and the rest of the world. I'm part of the rest of the world and will not let them do without reaction.
And no, this not only a US war, moralists are everywhere ...

Claudio,

You state that well. Some call it a "cultural war", and trust me - everyone is pulled in, in some way. It's troubling on every level, it has become very black and white... no fence riding allowed. That really is where the war lies, isn't it? In morality!

Yes, moralists are everywhere - as are imoralists. And I wish everyone could see how easily and clearly you've defined it, because ultimately, everyone of us chooses which side we're on in every choice we make and at all times!

Sincerely and without shame,

Janet Gable Cull

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch