[pure-silver] Re: Censorship

  • From: "EJ Neilsen" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 19:59:45 -0600

"I just find the whole reaction here to be extreme. Just my opinion,"

And here in lies the problem.    Photographic art was singled out as
objectionable; with phrases like pornographic being thrown around. While the
prints do elicit questions from the viewer as to what is going on there,
none of the images are pornographic. Many have pointed out that none of the
other images seemed to raise the ire of the director.  Did you query the
gallery individual to find out if action was already being put forth by the
gallery director prior to the request? This would clearly show she found
them out of place with the show. If she waited until being confronted by an
unhappy viewer, what will be her answer when the paintings and sculpture are
found to be offensive?

Extreme actions require extreme measures. Protests and legal action are
hardly extreme in this prudish culture. Hanging the director in effigy is
extreme. Burning the flag in protest is extreme. Calling for common sense is
far from extreme. Janet there was an invitation to show just these types of
works at this venue. So while there may be many places to find nudity in
America, the call was made to bring it on and so it was done by the artist
and selected by the approved judges.

"(Sometimes I think people just like a good fight.)" Janet I also see this
as case where promises are made and then broken. Like so many other
commitments made before them here in America. The gallery, the board, and
the director have NO integrity. If she was out on bereavement leave, there
should have been a qualified person there to over see what was going on. AS
painful as her situation was and still may be, some one should have stepped
up to the plate and taken charge and stood  by their commitment to the
artists, the gallery and their board.

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography

4101 Commerce Street