[pure-silver] Re: Censorship

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 19:43:41 -0400

DEAR BECKY,
        I agree completely with Helge!  When I viewed the link below and saw
the explicit nude sculpture that was NOT pulled from the show and then the
three beautifully lit figure studies that WERE pulled I was/am LIVID with
anger.  I am sorry that some of the narrow minded public have a problem with
photography but no problem with explicit sculpture!  The only way to solve
that problem is for responsible, respected people (gallery curators and
management) to show photographic art the same respect as sculpture and
painting!  Set an example and stick to it.  Pulling those prints was/is
ridiculous!
        Further, unless and until someone starts legal action, the gallery
is, indeed, indulging in the worst possible form of censorship; that
perpetrated because of a few complaints, NOT due to any valid legal
argument!  Throughout history there have been horrible examples of "To be
accused is to be guilty!"  And NONE of them have ever led to any good for
the individual or society.
        I would be happy to write an e-mail to the gallery management.  I
think the two photographers should start VERY PUBLIC legal action against
the gallery.  There must be something either illegal or in violation of
contract about accepting work, hanging it, and then pulling it without
actual legal justification.  Being a public gallery makes them accountable
TO THE PUBLIC, which includes those who made the art and many of the public
who already saw those prints and did NOT complain.  Call the American Civil
Liberties Union and see if one of their lawyers will get involved.  If the
gallery management had refused the work in the beginning, citing laws,
codes, or even trade practice, then there might be nothing to do but, given
that they DID accept the work and valued it enough to hang it, to remove it
with no actual legal justification is wrong in so many ways.
        Now I have to go cool down!!!
                CHEERS!
                        BOB