[pure-silver] Re: Any advice for purchase of densitometer.

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:04:07 -0600

DarkroomMagic wrote:

>Maybe fixed-grade papers are the answer for pyro negatives. Is pyro really
>worth the trouble, though?

Not in my opinion, except possibly for very high SBRs. It's a good
developer, it lasts a long time, it's cheap, and it's a way to get very
high negative densities for platinum printing without excessive
development. (At zone VIII, roughly 40% of the todal density will be
stain density.) On the other hand, it's toxic, leads to lower highlight
separation with VC paper (at least for me), and it doesn't work all that
well in a Jobo. I prefer Xtol or D76.

-Peter