Re: is there anything a PTR1 can do not available on PTR2

  • From: Daveed Mandell <daveedm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 07:33:31 -0700

But they have to mark where they might want to grab sound bites, Michael. Otherwise you'd go crazy with tons of sound and have to listen to it all to figure out what you wanted to grab.
--Daveed--At 02:06 AM 10/7/2006, you wrote:

Daveed, the radio journalists I know do all there editing with a program
like SoundForge. They don't use the heading markers of the Plextalk as
much as I know. You wrote:

> So that means I can use the Heading key to denote each speaker in a
> press conference, let's say, and the Page Key to indicate several
> possible sound bites for each speaker.

Yes, you can do that.

> Can one time individual sections or pages? Thanks.

What do you mean by time? In another message you wrote, that you aren't
satisfied with the way, the PTR1 works when it comes to heading and page
markers. The PTR2 works the same way so I'm not sure, whether you'd be
satisfied.

You seem to want a recorder, with which you can set SoundForge
compatible markers and which talks. But as much as I know, there aren't
many machines of that type available, even for sighted people. I only
know of one or two companies who manufacture such recorders: Sound
Devices and possibly Tascam. Some radio journalists use Marantz
recorders for their work, but these use an index file to store the
markers and as with the PTR2, you'd have to use a software from the
manufacturer to convert these into audio files, which start where you've
set the markers. I'd just use the fast forward and rewind feature of
SoundForge to find the positions, if I had to prepare the recording
quickly. That's how the German radio people I know do it.

You could set your page and heading markers on the PTR2, note the time
stamps of the markers (elapsed time), after you've recorded the stuff
and then jump to the time positions with SoundForge.

   <*** Michael Lang ***>