[pskmail] Re: The hardware modem idea (sri, long rant)

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 12:53:24 +1000

Hi Jack,

I appreciate your input.

From a purely personal point of view I have serious reservations about
doing hardware development for anything if possible.

When I look at the trend of ever more powerful hardware in ever decreasing
prices I really have difficulties justifying small volume hardware
development. Just looking at the cost of a Nue-Psk (a very well designed
system for its purpose IMHO) versus an Android phone or tablet, the cost
benefits in my opinion put the mass-produced items well in front, even
without considering the additional features of a smart phone.

Yes a hardware solution provides a better control of all variable that are
critical to top performance but I really think that we have ample speed and
link (not system) reliability right now and certainly even more after we
release the new modes.

I agree with you Jack that some people will always want more throughput but
we are not that far from the limit of throughput in a given s/n and
bandwidth in fact.

I agree that Pskmail user friendliness could be improved. I believe we
should have a "Simple" and "Expert" mode where both functions and setting
would be either hidden/at default or visible to the user. Simple mode would
have only email, Ping and Beacon for example but not any of the other
functions and most settings would be to default.

Regarding reliability maybe we need to be more careful with what we call
stable and really have two streams, one stable and one development in
separate sections so that new users are not tempted to use the development
path.

We may also have to have a slower release path for Fldigi too so that new
modem features do not interfere with the reliability of the overall system.

Again personally speaking, I don't see why we should deviate from one of
the key initial objective of Pskmail: to provide an open source and free
solution when all (most?) others are paying and/or require proprietary
hardware. I really feel that is a cornerstone of what Pskmail is.

But still, I have a genuine question I would really like to have an answer
for, and believe me absolutely exempt from ulterior motives: for those of
us who have used/are using Pactor modems and Winlink why would we be
interested in Pskmail? There must be some reason?

All the best,

73, John