[pskmail] Re: The hardware modem idea (sri, long rant)

  • From: Jack Chomley <radio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 08:39:38 +1000

Hi John,

Thanks for your insight.
I guess my reasoning for the hardware solution is because for many years that
has been my main interest, from the early Packet days. Being able to run a
Mailbox and Beacon, with no PC running at all. Being a mobile/portable operator
meant that I could receive mail at any time while the PC was off and not having
to switch it on, to check for mail......just look for a blinking status light
on the box to know I had mail :-) secondly, I could load mail into the box and
turn off the PC and IF anyone connected, they could collect that mail.
In answer to your question about Pactor and Winlink.......several things, again
It's the old mailbox problem, the Server is the mailbox and you need to log on
to it all the time to check for mail, bit like having to go to the Post Office
to collect mail, because you have no mailbox at home!
In the days of FBB BBS operations, it would automatically forward to your
mailbox and........you could reverse forward back to FBB.
SCS have been asked on a number of occasions to add features to their Pactor
firmware, one option was a Beacon mode, another has been an more friendly TNC 2
type mailbox, not to mention the latest DR-7800 modem has NO mailbox at all :-(
Many years ago I asked  for a mailbox in SCS DSP Tracker TNC that has Packet
and Robust Packet, I felt that it would be very useful for Ham portable
operation, due to size and features etc.
SCS refused on the basis that their products sales were only 5% to ham
operators so they would not look at those features in any further firmware
release.  People asked for Beacon mode in the PTC modems.............nothing :-(
So John, Pactor does not hold all the answers for the minimalist mobile
portable station, on a low power budget. Again, speed is nice as in P2,3,4
but........it's not deal breaker!
I favour lower speeds, in an effort to get Comms over more difficult link
paths, with low power radios. With that comes the benefit of no cost Pskmail.
As you can see Pactor does not hold all the answers that Pactor operators seek,
mainly because the box maker is not flexible in looking at our firmware needs.
As time goes on, our next big problem is bandwidth.......we need to get mean
and lean ! As spectrum occupancy increases......the room to move, decreases.
Bandwidth and filtering will soon be a big priority if links are to work with
good propagation and high occupancy.
The concept and operation of Pskmail is a great one.....it really is -:)
I guess what I am looking for is how to get the most from it, without becoming
entangled in a constant debug scenario, to make it work properly :-)
Maybe the Android phone Is the answer.........would be good to gut the unwanted
phone firmware out of it and just have it as a dedicated Pskmail Terminal -:)
Client to client Comms with Android based Pskmail terminals would be great, too.
Leave the Android box in sleep mode, could make it the mailbox, we seek -:)
Again......just one mans opinion, in trying to contribute to progress -:)

73,

Jack VK4JRC

Sent from my iPad