[pskmail] Re: The hardware modem idea (sri, long rant)

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 16:32:44 +1000

Hi Jack,

Interesting points.

Actually I have been asked for a "push email" type of alert from Daniel
(VK2FWW) here in Sydney.

I think that with the advent of mobile devices people are becoming to
expect that new mail arrival will be at least flagged if not downloaded
automatically on their devices.

Although our bandwidth may not accommodate automatic downloads from a group
of people, even if the emails are size limited, I think it would be of
value to extend a feature like the Link-to function to allow for at least
the email count to be reported.

The auto-link function (also available in the Android version) sends a link
request at set intervals (typically 20 to 30 minutes) to maintain a
keep-alive flag at the server. At present this is only used for APRS
messages forwarding from server to client, but it could be used for new
mail alert too since a client is linked with one server at a time.

This would make marginal impact on the reply size of the Link-to request
and provide valid information to the client.

It also avoids frequency clogging by trying to push emails "in the dark"
hoping for the client to listen as only clients sending link requests would
get their new mail count.

This may not be a mailbox system as you are used to, but at least it can
alert (in may ways) the operator of new mails waiting. It is then simply a
matter of connecting and doing a QTC to get the email list and downloading
the desired ones.

I would not advocate the automatic email download personally simply because
of the potential for QRMing and clogging the HF frequencies (it is probably
OK on VHF at high speed).

Regarding your stripped-down platform point, since we have the choice of
phone or tablet (the 7" ones are pretty light too) you can have basically a
low power device with andPskmail running in the background and performing
regular link-to requests (and maybe position beacons too as I do).

I like the all-in-one aspect and you can look at it as having a keyboard
and display "attached to the modem". Otherwise you have to have another
device (like a phone or tablet or some sort of terminal to connect to the
modem).

On my HTC Desire I get a total concumption of 280mA from the battery when
running the andPskmail application with the screen off (Bluetooth, WIFI and
GPS OFF, but 3G ON). I think that can be classified as a low power device
even if you count 20% extra for the recharge circuit losses.

I also run my topographic mapping applications like Androizic (for
OziExplorer maps) and OruxMap. So I get a lot of value from my phone in
portable and low power situations.

Client to client exchanges are already built in jPskmail but disabled in
the phone version. They allow ARQ message exchange and file
up/download (the receiving end can be unattended) and that with automatic
mode adjustment like with the servers.

It would not be hard to re-enable this in the Android client.

73, John