[pskmail] Re: The hardware modem idea (sri, long rant)

  • From: Demetre SV1UY <demetre.sv1uy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 15:40:51 +0300

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Demetre,
>
> Thanks for the input, this is of course an interesting subject.
>
> If we were going to develop a synchronous protocol with very tight
> timing requirements, like pactor, then the real time requirements would
> be correct. But, we are not doing that, asynchronous ARQ modes don't
> have any problem with reasonable speed switching time.
>
> Also, I think some of the modes being used now are very robust. A few
> weeks ago I was away skiing and I brought my FT-817 and a fishing rod.
> The antenna I made was too short and I forgot my radials at home (only
> had one real radial). At times I could hear the servers anyway and I was
> able to send my position and a few short emails using only 3 watts and
> Thor modes. I can't imagine how bad my signal must have been but it
> worked.
>
> Btw my portable soundcard interface is a small home made thing that is
> attached to the cables between the radio and the pc (no extra box
> there).
>
> Regarding the QRM and finding a clear frequency I am really glad that we
> stay within 500 Hz all the time. Other systems can sometimes decide to
> increase from 500 Hz to 1600 or 2400 Hz in the middle of traffic
> exchange and that has caused some QRM. If we decide to use wider modes
> later I hope we can agree to try to avoid that issue. I like to stay
> narrow (filtered) when QRP portable so I will support strict 500 Hz
> channels. The hidden transmitter problem is helped in part with the
> european servers talking to each other through the big ear server. When
> my server transmits on 10148 it notifies the others and they wait, even
> if they can't hear the actual transmission.
>
> So, no, I still don't think we need a hardware modem.
>
> 73 de Per, sm0rwo

FB FB FB Per,

No worries OM. I just thought it is a bit weird doing ARQ with
asynchronous modes, but of course this is my opinion from the
experiences I've had until today. If it works fine for you and you are
happy with it, all is FB.

I have tried PSKmail many times, but it really is extremely slow when
I compare it with WINMOR or my PTC-II and P4dragon. Pactor 2 can work
in a 500 HZ wide bandwidth and you can benefit from it's filtering and
it is at least 4 times faster than PSK500 and very ROBUST.

Of course I could justify such a slow speed when operating portable
especially with andPSKmail client and an FT-817 in your backpack,
because carrying even an eeePC701 in a backpack and taking it up the
mountain can be a burden, for me nowadays anyway. This setup is really
portable and nothing can ever beat that for simplicity and lightweight
ability. So congrats go to VK2ETA for this.

I only wish John VK2ETA could write an Android client for WINLINK2000
using a PTC-II modem or WINMOR, hint hint John, hi hi hi!!!

In any case you are all doing a great work and I look forward to
future releases when the freezes go away!

Good luck.

--
73 de SV1UY
Demetre Ch. Valaris