[pskmail] Re: The hardware modem idea (sri, long rant)

  • From: Demetre SV1UY <demetre.sv1uy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 17:13:47 +0300

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM, John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Demetre,
>
> Thank you for taking the time to explain your views.
>
> Hihi regarding the hint. Thank you for your comments. On this subject I
> would say two things, first that I personally like the concept of open
> source systems and software and wish to continue supporting it, and two in
> any case I am really really short of time to do any justice to another
> development.
>
> Regarding the portable situation, what you describe really represents what I
> use: the FT817 and Android phone plus a 6000mAh lithium-ion battery to power
> the FT-817 and recharge the phone through a 12 to 5V adapter. Plus a small
> foldable solar panel in case of longer than expected circumstances.
>
> Regarding the speed hopefully we will get there in time. I have worked on
> faster modes not because of personal needs but because of requests from
> other users as I am not convinced that in real life it is that critical.
>
> Although we all like to drive/dream of driving a (red) sport car for fun,
> most of us don't use one for going to work. So I personally feel that there
> is a bit of the Ferrari syndrome in there. Nothing wrong with that, just
> that it may be more of a "want" than a "need" in marketing terms.
>
> On the other hand yes  robustness as you mentioned in your previous email is
> important  ("at decent speed" I would add, whatever that means in numerical
> terms). As Per explained I think we can claim very good robustness at
> present BUT at the (somewhat dramatic) price of speed.
>
> With modes like THOR4 we now get down to about -18dBs of s/n in less than
> 200Hz B/W, but boy it is slow and is a drain on batteries of portable
> operations but for the simplest of transmissions.
>
> The new modes are also targeted at filling these gaps both in the middle and
> the top speed bracket, and hopefully in the future I will find the time (or
> another developer will join us) to implement the Turbo codes which will
> bring us closer to the Shannon limit, thereby increasing speed for the same
> s/n ratios.
>
> Again thank you for your input on the +/- of Pskmail.
>
> 73, John

Hi John,

No problems OM. Keep up the good work! I will be watching the
development very closely and hopefully one day we might have this
ROBUSTNESS at decent speed available even if it cannot approach the
Shannon limit.

I hope that sometime soon I will be able to give you my report on your
nice andPSKmail client. I have a Samsung GALAXY Y Pro DUOS (P-5512)
mobile phone and a 7 inch Samsung Galaxy TAB P-1000. I have already
installed your client in the GTAB.

--
73 de SV1UY
Demetre Ch. Valaris