[projectaon] Re: Dawn of the Jewelled Mace

  • From: John TFS <johntfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:48:55 +0000

I never got any of the Mongoose books.  But the way I look at it, with the
Psychic Ring you don't have to worry so much about impossible enemy stats any
more.  Plus, the thing doesn't appear in the Grandmaster series, so it's not
that big of a deal.  It's just a way to get through so of the more absurdly
difficult fights.

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 14:46:59 +0100
Subject: [projectaon] Re: Dawn of the Jewelled Mace
From: feline1973@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I know! I too used to leave the Sommerswerd in safekeeping and bring the Dagger
of Vashna for this reason. But can we use this to infer that Kimah's stats are
wrong, or that psychic ring bonus description is wrong, or...?What did Mongoose
do?

                                                     Sent from my BlackBerry 10
smartphone.

    From: John TFSSent: Wednesday, 24 July 2013 1:57 PMTo:
projectaon@freelists.orgReply To: projectaon@freelists.orgSubject: [projectaon]
Re: Dawn of the Jewelled Mace

Perhaps.  But try to fight Kimah with the Sommerswerd.  It's almost impossible,
especially without maximum CS.  Most of the time I deliberately leave the
Sommerswerd at home for Book 9 and carry the Dagger of Vashna for that very
reason.  Using the Ring and the Sommerswerd make the fight with Kimah tough but
reasonable.  Ditto the later battle with the Chaos-master.  As for lesser
enemies, the chart tops out at +11.

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 11:22:40 +0100
From: feline1973@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

But is the whole point of the Psychic Ring in The Cauldron of Fear, in gameplay
terms, not meant to be as a nice fat juicy +8CS only for players who hadn't
completed previous books and so wouldn't have had the Sommerswerd? If you
already have the Sommerswerd, you weren't intended to get another +8CS from the
Ring too.

                                   Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

                                                                  From: John
TFSSent: Wednesday, 24 July 2013 10:18 AMTo: projectaon@freelists.orgReply To:
projectaon@freelists.orgSubject: [projectaon] Re: Dawn of the Jewelled Mace

I never used the Psychic Ring's CS Bonus because I never knew about it.
Currently, the only way you find out about Ring's bonus is if you happen to
fight the dragon with the Ring and do not have the Sommerswerd, which is kind
of a rare occurrence.  I think there should be a footnote added that to the
chapter(s) where you find the Ring which says "unless otherwise noted. the
Psychic Ring gives you a +8 CS in all combats."  For the battle with Kimah if
you only have the Psychic Ring, there could be a note that "Kimah's statistics
already reflect the use of the Ring.  For this combat do not add a further +8
to your CS."

Also, in Book 15 and following, the combat bonuses of the Strength spell (+5
CS, temp +5 EP) are only specified if you happen to fight a specific monster.
Since you get those bonuses by casting that spell, it seems that this should be
noted within the spell's description.