[projectaon] Re: California Countdown Comment Period

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2015 20:37:44 +0000

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 at 04:41 Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not Fixed:

(ne) The Story So Far: [SO: Are we happy with the small illustration
placements here?]

I think they're a nice touch.

(er) The Story So Far: your customized roadster and a gasolene tanker ->
your customized roadster, and a gasolene tanker [so: Serial comma]

Agreed.

(er) The Story So Far: [SO: Inconsistent quote mark usage: the
'Mavericks' vs. the Saints. In the printed book, there are no quote
marks around 'Mavericks', though they are used in Tssf for Books 2 and
3. We should standardise this. Suggest: the Saints -> the 'Saints'
(first use only) for consistency. Else, revise Books 1-3 to remove the
quotation marks around 'Mavericks', 'Lions', etc.]

Agreed to using quotation marks on the first mention.

Also suggest switching the dashes for commas:

tssf: another HAVOC clan--the Saints--who were based in New Orleans ->
another HAVOC clan, the 'Saints', who were based in New Orleans

(er) 51: One Pistol [SO: Is the word "One" necessary? I don't recall
this in the earlier books]

That is weird. I'd say remove the "One".

(er) 109: [SO: Start a new paragraph when Cookie speaks after "bridge."]

Agreed.

(er) 131: Quick Cal -> Quick, Cal

There's another comma right afterwards: "Quick Cal, let's get him before he
gets away." Adding a comma (or possibly breaking this into two sentences)
makes it seem too choppy for the hurried tone of this passage.

(ne) 131: him..., and -> him...and [SO: Unless this comma is desired
here, in which case record its addition on the Errata Page.]

Agreed.

(er) 155: into the truck -> into the trunk

Agreed.

(er) 160: wouldn't you Phoenix -> wouldn't you, Phoenix

Agreed.

(er) 192: C'mon Cal -> C'mon, Cal

Original: C'mon Cal, we've gotta get back

What do you think of "C'mon, Cal. We've gotta get back"?

(er) 265: C'mon Cal -> C'mon, Cal

Same hurried tone as 131?

(er) 295: Murdered by the looks -> Murdered, by the looks

Agreed.

(er) 305: [SO: Paragraph break after "muses Rickenbacker."]

Agreed.

(er) 342: [SO: Add paragraph break after "cuts you off."]

Agreed.

(er) 350: Your reputation is further glorified [SO: is "glorified"
appropriate? Would "enhanced" be more accurate?]

Maybe so, but it doesn't seem like "glorified" is exactly wrong either.