[projectaon] Re: California Countdown Comment Period

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan.blake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2015 18:48:26 +0000

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 at 05:49 Benjamin Krefetz <krefetz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

(er) 29: the Tyler tow truck -> the Tylers' tow truck [SO: There are two
Tylers; cf. Section 48]

"the Tyler tow truck" still sounds fine to me with two Tylers, though it
does sound a bit colloquial in that case.

Agreed, Ben. I read it like "the Peterson farm" or "the Smith place".
Colloquial, but probably appropriate here.

(er) 56: You pull off the freeway and follow the service road towards a
diner, the largest building in the rest-stop complex, and park your
roadster [so: Suggest changing "freeway and follow" to "freeway, follow"]

If we make this change we should also change "the largest building in the
rest-stop complex" to being set off with dashes, otherwise the sentence
mixes serial and subclause commas in a confusing way..

Agreed: "You pull off the freeway, follow the service road towards a
diner--the largest building in the rest-stop complex--and park your
roadster".

(er) 129: most part of an hour [so: Is this idiom OK? Usually, I'd say
'the best part of an hour', not 'the most part of'.]

I'd say "the better part of an hour", but maybe that's just American
usage. Checking Google, "the better part of an hour" gets 357k hits, "the
best part of an hour" gets 333k hits, and "the most part of an hour" gets
23.6M(!!!) hits. On the other hand, the first hits for each of "the better"
and "the best" are dictionary definitions, while the first hits for "the
most" tend to be reviews and other unofficial usage, so "the most" may be
too colloquial for use in a book.

It's not an idiom that I remember hearing, but apparently it's in use. I
think its meaning is clear enough, but I'm really tempted to say we should
change it to "better"... Let's leave it as-is.

(er) 319: San Cristobal Bridge -> San Cristobal bridge [SO: Maybe? cf.
"Santa Rosa bridge" in Section 315]

Yeah, with a quick Google search, the bridge on I-8 over the San
Cristobal Wash doesn't look so big as to be named, and the only bridge
bearing the name San Cristobal Bridge is in Mexico.

Agreed.

(er) 339: Nevada desert -> Nevada Desert

Keep as-is. There are multiple deserts in Nevada, and no single one has
the name Nevada Desert.

As a native, :) I can tell you that you can visit the Mojave Desert or the
Great Basin Desert in Nevada, but there is no such place as the Nevada
Desert.

Everything else looks reasonable to me.

Ben