[projectaon] Re: California Countdown Comment Period

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 12:41:45 +0100

On 05-Oct-15 7:46 PM, Jonathan Blake wrote:

I think we all know the drill at this point. :)

Let's start the comment period for California Countdown, ending Sunday,
October 11. Give it a look, and report back if you find any issues. If
all goes well, we'll plan to publish on October 12!

Phew! A few more than I'd expected, but pretty good for a 'last hurrah' (before revising Books 19-22 for footnote removal, revamping the books' design layout, working ont he PDFs, etc. ;-) ).

(ne) 109: bridge: -> bridge.
(ne) 149: westbound Lanes -> westbound lanes
(ne) 235: [so: Remove erroneous paragraph break before "What d'you think?" as it is a continuation of Cal speaking.]
(ne) 295: [SO: Remove erroneous paragraph break after "interjects Rickenbacker."]
(ne) 350: [SO: Reposition the small illustrations to "bracket" the paragraph about Ed Hughes, since this is the only portion of the text not written in second-person.]

^^^
All Fixed-in-xml.

======================

Not Fixed:

(ne) The Story So Far: [SO: Are we happy with the small illustration placements here?]

(er) The Story So Far: your customized roadster and a gasolene tanker -> your customized roadster, and a gasolene tanker [so: Serial comma]

(er) The Story So Far: [SO: Inconsistent quote mark usage: the 'Mavericks' vs. the Saints. In the printed book, there are no quote marks around 'Mavericks', though they are used in Tssf for Books 2 and 3. We should standardise this. Suggest: the Saints -> the 'Saints' (first use only) for consistency. Else, revise Books 1-3 to remove the quotation marks around 'Mavericks', 'Lions', etc.]

(er) 29: the Tyler tow truck -> the Tylers' tow truck [SO: There are two Tylers; cf. Section 48]

(er) 51: One Pistol [SO: Is the word "One" necessary? I don't recall this in the earlier books]

(er) 56: You pull off the freeway and follow the service road towards a diner, the largest building in the rest-stop complex, and park your roadster [so: Suggest changing "freeway and follow" to "freeway, follow"]

(er) 109: [SO: Start a new paragraph when Cookie speaks after "bridge."]

(er) 129: most part of an hour [so: Is this idiom OK? Usually, I'd say 'the best part of an hour', not 'the most part of'.]

(er) 131: Quick Cal -> Quick, Cal

(ne) 131: him..., and -> him...and [SO: Unless this comma is desired here, in which case record its addition on the Errata Page.]

(er) 155: into the truck -> into the trunk

(er) 160: wouldn't you Phoenix -> wouldn't you, Phoenix

(er) 192: C'mon Cal -> C'mon, Cal

(er) 231: the Tyler's tow truck -> the Tylers' tow truck [cf. Section 48; there are two Tylers.]

(er) 265: C'mon Cal -> C'mon, Cal

(er) 295: Murdered by the looks -> Murdered, by the looks

(er) 305: [SO: Paragraph break after "muses Rickenbacker."]

(er) 319: San Cristobal Bridge -> San Cristobal bridge [SO: Maybe? cf. "Santa Rosa bridge" in Section 315]

(er) 339: Nevada desert -> Nevada Desert

(er) 342: [SO: Add paragraph break after "cuts you off."]

(er) 350: Your reputation is further glorified [SO: is "glorified" appropriate? Would "enhanced" be more accurate?]