[projectaon] Re: A responsive web app for the Lone Wolf gamebooks with offline capabilities

  • From: "Eric Zollman" <ericzollman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jack Van Zyl" <jack.vanzyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 18:55:14 -0500

Jack,

Congrats on the new job! I think it's awesome that your work on the Project Aon site helped you land it too. Thats just uber-cool. BTW, I was playing around with your app and just had one observation to make. It's kind of tricky to load a game after you have left the web page and came back. My first time around I pressed the Back button on the browser instead of clicking Game->Story to get back from the action chart to the section I was currently playing. This took me to the New Player page (which is cool cause it prevents cheating to some degree). I entered the exact same username as the first time and it started a whole new game. Second time I just closed the browser and then came back, to see if the data had saved, and got the same result... Each time it didn't occur to me to click on Game->Quit Game because I wasn't in a game. Or didn't feel like it, since I hadn't clicked the Start Game button yet again. I searched around for a Load button for a few moments and almost shot out an email to ask you how to load my game. But this last time instead of closing my browser I clicked the Quit Game button and found my three previous saves. All of them loaded just fine. ;-)

Has anybody else mentioned this before, or am I just thick today? Anyway I thought it might be a good idea to add a Load Game button on the New Player page (http://lonewolfadventures.projectaon.org/#newplayer)? Then if other players close their browser, hit the back button or encounter a crash of some kind that forces the browser to close without actually "quiting" the current game there will be a direct and obvious route back to their game.

Other than that I really enjoy the work. The sleek design, the book / action chart integration and the navigation style in general seems like it would play very well on an iPad or a Kindle. Great Work!

-Eric Zollman

P.S. Holy-Fucking-Shit! Never-mind. Just forget this whole email. I AM being thick today! Before sending this email I went back to my browser one more time and almost instantly noticed that the title on the New Player page is a direct link to the Home page (http://lonewolfadventures.projectaon.org/#home) which of course allows you to easily load a game or start a new one! I need a nap or something. I almost didn't even send this email, but thought you guys might at least get a laugh out of my blundering. LOL I think I'm just gonna watch TV for the rest of the day. My hands shouldn't even be on a keyboard right now...

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:25:49 -0500, Jack Van Zyl <jack.vanzyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Eric and all,

I'm still just happy that the link is up there on the Main / Books page,
but FWIW here are the links for easy reference:

Flight from the Dark: http://lonewolfadventures.projectaon.org/?title=1
Fire on the Water: http://lonewolfadventures.projectaon.org/?title=2
The Caverns of Kalte: http://lonewolfadventures.projectaon.org/?title=3
The Chasm of Doom: http://lonewolfadventures.projectaon.org/?title=4
Shadow on the Sand: http://lonewolfadventures.projectaon.org/?title=5
For these direct links to work, an update via the *Download status* link in
the lower right corner is required if previously downloaded.

Incidentally, a while back I sent Jon a rather frantic email about please
getting the subdomain sorted so that I can publish the source of Lone Wolf
Adventures and get a more suitable freelance job, and I’ve started one a
couple of weeks ago, so many thanks Jon and Project Aon! Never let it be
said that the story’s already written and a bold and courageous act (like
agreeing to host the app on your subdomain and setting it up) cannot change
the course of history :-)

Jack

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Eric Zollman <ericzollman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That idea sounds good to me. On my staff page I already have links for
each book that opens the book and the appropriate action chart. Should be
easy enough to add those links to the main page for each book.

-Eric Zollman

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:47:26 -0500, Jonathan Blake <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

 On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Jack van Zyl
<jack.vanzyl@liquidstateltd.**com <jack.vanzyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:

 Actually, would it be possible to add it to the list of Tools at the
bottom
of this page http://www.projectaon.org/en/**Main/Books<http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books>?
It's not nearly as
feature complete as the JavaScript Action Charts
(http://www.projectaon.org/**staff/eric/<http://www.projectaon.org/staff/eric/>)
or the Statskeeper
(http://www.projectaon.org/en/**statskeeper/<http://www.projectaon.org/en/statskeeper/>),
but would be great to be added.
Would that be a good idea?

Added.

Actually looking at the list of tools available there at the bottom of
the Books page, I wonder if they're kind of languishing there for lack
of attention. What does everyone think of adding all of those tools to
the book pages where appropriate (e.g. on the Flight from the Dark
page for everything capable of playing that book)?