[projectaon] Re: 26tfobm comment period has arrived!

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:35:42 +1300

On 22/02/13 07:34, Anders Österberg wrote:

Sections 54, 147, 193:

These sentences are a bit unclear:

"... Zaxx - an invisible, scentless, highly poisonous gas. It forms in
pockets within the granite mountains of Bor and Boden, and for centuries
it has been the bane of all Drodarin miners."

It's quite a typical use of the term 'bane of', as far as I understand it. I don't really see that this needs to be changed.

OK. You're the native speaker, but to me it is a very peculiar implication.

bane has multiple meanings, only one of which is death/destruction/ruin.
refer to (specifically the World English Dictionary definition): http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bane <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bane>

its fairly common to say something like: "Bob (my manager) is the bane of my life. He always makes me work weekends."

So Id back Simon here.