Re: web-design … where does one start?

  • From: David Tseng <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 13:54:48 -0700

Most sites have some kind of multi column layout. The navigation
bar/menu's placement has no standardized slot or alignment. You can
place it vertically on the left or right of a page or horizontally on
the top (or I guess even the bottom ) of a page.

With respect to standards, you have many of them specified by various
W3C specs, working groups, DOM3, ecmascript, etc etc. You get a
standard set of widgets in html, an extension of them in html5, a few
more additions in aria, etc.

You're pretty much only restricted by these building blocks on what
you can create. This is similar to how windows app's need not have
title bars, or even menu bars if the app developer took the time to
custom build everything. It's just far easier to do that using
html/js.