Re: web-design … where does one start?

  • From: Harmony Neil <harmony.neil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:28:46 +0100

On 18/09/2011 21:35, Florian-achtige wrote:
Hi,

In windows applications it is often a bit more standardized. Titlebar,
below that menubar, and so forth. But what is the standard structure
for a website?
I ask because next year a part of my studies will involve designing a
passable website. I don't think the ' i'm blind'  card will get me out
of it and frankly I don't want it to. This is why I asked if perhaps
people have some insights.
I know of the blind webbers groups …but i strongly dislike yahoo!
groups so I decided to ask here, first.

Florian

2011/9/18, David Tseng<davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>:
It's the age old question of how a blind person can write a visually
appealing user interface (or at least one's that's passable).

I would probably start by grabbing a good book on html/js/CSS. There
are ways, for example, to specify in code how things are layed out
relative to each other. Think of laying out things in a grid for
example all done in markup.

Another route to take is just using a CMS in which you can just build
upon a template (presumably made by a sighted individual).

On 9/18/11, Florian-achtige<florianbeijers@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hello,

I am, and have always been, fully blind. I have the ambition of being
able to write at least passable websites when it comes to the
design/visual aspect. I understand that you are usually advised to
have a sighted person check your layout before you go live with it,
but how do you know where to begin? I have always seen websites from
the JAWS perspective, I have no idea on what side the menu should be,
or the content, what shape, font? That kind of thing. Where do I go to
find out such things?

Florian

Agree with the poster before you. You should learn html first, because that's how websites are written. You can then use CSS to make it look more visually appealing and you can code exactly where you want things to go and the colors etc. Trouble is, you don't want to style it too much because many people who use magnification etc might have their software set to display things in a certain way. I could be wrong on that point, but just saying.