RE: tips for aspx.net in visual studio?

  • From: "David Tingler" <dtingler@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 22:46:44 -0500

Hi asp.net'ers,

I have been doing a bit of asp.net coding and I found accessing the smart
tag to be a bit tricky. Some of the methods for doing so described here on
the list would only work for me some of the time. I found the following
method worked pretty well:

1. Place your cursor on the first letter of the asp.net control tag in the
HTML editor. For example if the tag for a control is "<asp.net:something"
position your cursor on the "a" after the "<".

2. Select Designer from the View menu. I found that using SHIFT+F7 in this
instance was not reliable.

3. Press CTRL+. (that's control plus period) and the smart tag menu should
open.

I have found the designer to be completely useless and have been coding
tables in the HTML editor to accomplish screen formatting. Also, pressing
SHIFT+F7 while in the designer does not seem to always switch to the HTML
editor. The crazy work around I have been doing in this case is to press F7
to go to the code behind editor and then I press SHIFT+F7 twice to go to the
HTML editor.

Please let me know if you find any better work arounds.

David