Re: tips for aspx.net in visual studio?

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 20:32:35 -0400

Hi: Well do most of your work in the HTML Markup Editor rather than in the
Forms Designer. You can drop your controls directly into the Code Editor by
placing your cursor where you want the control to appeear in the code, bringing
up the ToolBox and then clicking the control you want to add to the page. The
code will be dropped directly into the code. You can then highlight the opening
html tag for the control and hit F4 if I remember, and the Properties Window
for that control will come up. You can also hit ctrl+f2 while in the HTML
Markup Editor to bring up a list of controls on the form and you can then
select one of them, or the form itself, tab to the next drop down box and
select an event for that control and a Event Stub will be added to the Code
Behind for the page ready to add your own code to. There are some other things
I can not think of off hand but will check out my StarTrek Tutorials series of
articles to see if I can spot them. I think I still have the Tips and Tricks
file floating around.Oh ya, you can collapse a block of code in the HTML Markup
Editor, then select it and perform a Replace or delete the entire block or
whatever, that was a usefull thing I remember. I don't think I had any troubles
with any of the Wizards, hmmm, it has been some time since I have been working
on a Winforms Project lately. Let me know what you are trying to do and I will
see if I have any articles involving your technicals. Also, I will see if I can
dig up the Tips And Tricks file and post it up under this thread either later
tonight or early tomorrow. I can send you the entire set of articles if you
want for some skim reading to see if you see anything of interest. They do not
cover many, actually most, of the features of VWD since they were written for a
fellow who wanted to see how to use some specific features of a Data Driven
Website but there is allot of good stuff in them if you are familiar with VB, a
little Database and some HTML. I recall using a ListView, DropDown boxes, some
XML and other things you will likely want to have some examples of. It was
developed in VWD 2005 and later in VWD 2008 using the standard ASP Controls and
a Sql Server Express Database. If you want them, I think there are 25 or more,
I will send them to you a few at a time so you can just read through them. You
can save them and use them however you want.
For now I will see if I can dig up the Tips and Tricks file. If you want the
tutorials let me know where to send them. They are just the tutorial text files
with examples and accessibility notes since I don't want to get back into
sending a bunch of code and data files around again. I spent way too much time
trying to help debug code when folks started implementing the actual project.
But, you are welcome to the tutorials and I think you might pick up allot from
just reading through them.
Rick USA
  Subject: tips for aspx.net in visual studio?

  Does anyone have any quick tips for working on web pages in visual studio? I
can't seem to use the same tricks for getting around in the designer as I did
in normal programming, in fact I'm not having much luck even adding a button or
selecting a control in there. I know some of you do this stuff by hand, but for
the classes i'm taking, they don't teach us that method and I don't really have
time to study it well on my own. I do good just keeping up with the projects as
it is. Any tips would be a life saver. Thanks!
  using 2008 pro, and jaws 9