Re: tips for aspx.net in visual studio?

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 06:54:51 -0400

Hi Rick,
I think a number of us would appreciate a complete set of your tutorials and tips in a zip archive, as it sounds to be valuable information for blind programmers interested in development with ASP.NET. Is that already available for download somewhere, e.g., on a BlindGeeks web site? If not, can you post it in web space that you have?

Jamal

On 5/10/2010 8:57 PM, RicksPlace wrote:

Here are the tips I pulled from the Tips document.
Some quick and Handy Keys:
 From Anyplace, pretty much:
Hit ctrl+alt+l to bring up Solution Explorer.
While in the HTML Markup Editor or the Forms Designer:
Hit ctrl+alt+x to open the ToolBox.
While In the Html Markup Editor:
Hit ctrl+f2 to open the Page Events Dialog.
In the first ComboBox, (Objects ComboBox) Select an object.
Tab to the Events ComboBox.
Cursor down and hit enter on the event you want to drop into the Code
Behind for the Page.
You are placed in the VB Editor within the Event Subroutine Stub.
More Tips:
Section: HTML Markup Editor
1. Selecting a ASP TypeTag and hitting f4 to open the properties Window
will bring up the Properties for the selected control. You will be in
the Properties Window so can then select other controls by selecting
them from the Objects DropDown list of the Properties Window.
Example: you would select,highlight, "<asp:Button" and then hit F4 to
bring up the Properties Window with that particular control selected.
You would make changes and then hit ctrl+F4 to close the Properties
Window and return to the HTML Markup Editor. You should see the changes
reflected in the code.
2. Toggle Collapse and Expand of a Code Block.
ctrl+m+m
(Hold down the ctrl key and hit m twice)
When the block is collapsed the Block Stub will include the Opening Tag
followed by 3 periods followed by the closing tag.
For a ItemTemplate it might be:
ItemTemplate>...</ItemTemplate
Note: You can do a Replace or a Delete on the stub to apply it to the
entire collapsed code block.
3. To replace some text in a selected CodeBlock:
Select the text you want to apply the Replace to;
Note: you can select the Tag Stub of a collapsed code block to select
the entire block. EndNote;
Under the File Menu cursor down to the "Find" branch.
Expandit by right cursoring.
Under the Find Branch you will see QuickFind and QuickReplace.
Hit enter on QuickReplace.
The First ComboBox is the From String,
The Second ComboBox is the To String,
The LookIn ComboBox is the scope of the Text To search and should be
"Selection".
Tab to Replace or Replace All and hit enter to execute the changes.
Section: Forms Designer
1. 3 methods To bring up the Smart Tag for a control in the Forms Designer:
Method A: Find the control on the Designer with the Mouse.
Right click it and pick "Smart Tag" from the DropDown PopUp Menu.
Method B. Anyplace in the Designer hit ctrl+alt+t to open the Outline
for the Page.
Cursor down to an item like a ListView or FormView in the Outline Tree.
Hit shift+alt+f10 to open the Smart Tag if one exists.
Method C. Open the page in the Designer.
Mouse to the Content Tag which is usually always shown.
Right Mouse Click it and select Properties.
In the Properties Window tab to the Components ComboBox.
Select a control like a ListView or FormView and back tab to the
Properties List.
Verify it is selected, check the ID property.
ctrl+f4 to close the Properties Window.
hit:
shift+alt+f10 and the smart tag should come up for the selected control.
Section: PropertiesWindow
1. To Open from the HTML Markup Editor:
Highlight a ASP TagType Like "<asp:ListView"in the Markup Editor and hit f4:
2. To open from the Forms Designer Window:
Find a control using the mouse, right mouse click it.
Select Properties from the ContextMenu PopUp.
Or:
Hit ctrl+alt+t to open the Outline Tree.
Cursor to an item and hit f4.
Note: some controls might not come up if nested inside other asp
controls like a FormView from within the Designer.
To Close hit ctrl+f4.
The PropertiesWindow Layout:
Open the Properties Window:
It usually opens in a table called the Properties List.
Tab and you might hear a couple of diferent sequences of textboxes and
buttons depending on what Property you are on.
You will hear the name of the Property you are on when the Properties
List first comes up.
You cursor up and down through the List of Properties.
If it is a field you can enter data in and you hit tab you will be in a
EditBox where you can enter a value for the Property.
If there is a list of options you can select from it will be a button
appearing after the EditBox. Clicking it you can pick a value from a
DropDown list, hit enter on one of them and be returned to the
Properties List with the new value assigned to that property.
Tab again and you hear the Components ComboBox.
The components you can access are listed in this box. You can open it,
cursor down to an entry and hit enter on it.
Back Tab to the Properties List and that control should be selected and
It's properties displayed in the Properties list.
Tab out of the Components ComboBox and you hear the
Catagorized Button. This is the first button in a tool bar.
If you hit tab you skip over the other items in the ToolBar and land on
the Properties List again.
If you cursor right you hear the items in the ToolBar:
Catagorized Button, Alphabetical Button ,Properties Button, and Events
Button.
The Catagorized and Alphebetical Buttons just change the Properties List
or the Events List to display either by item category or all properties
in alphabetical order.
The Properties button will show the Properties for the selected control
in the Properties List while the Events button will show the events
available for the selected control in place of the Properties List.
Note: The Events Button does not appear to show up using WindowEyes if
you bring up the Properties Window from within the HTML Markup Editor.
EndNote:
You can bring it up from using the forms designer or pick events using
the Ctrl+F2 Event selection process from within the HTML Markup Editor.
EndOfArticle